Processes to improve product effectiveness
The right foam for the right application is a key principal within AQF. The applications for technical foam products are many and varied. The key properties of the foam used will depend entirely on the precise application that it is being used for. Properties such as material, chemistry, pore size, density, open vs closed sell structure and others all have to be considered.
Some of the most common applications that are enabled and can be controlled by technical foam include the following:
- Filtration of air and fluids
- Wicking and capillary flow of fluids
- Reservoiring and delivery of fluid
- Cushioning and energy management
- Sound attenuation
- Static electricity management
- And others.
A number of processes can be utilised to improve the suitability or make suitable a particular foam for a particular requirement:
- Reticulation – the process of removing the cell windows to create an open-cell foam by either thermal or chemical means. This is critical for filtration applications of any type.
- Felting – a thermo forming process that permanently compresses the foam. Particularly useful for fluid management applications.
- Lamination – of foam to another substrate or of foam to foam. May be by flame or by adhesive means.
- Moulding – another thermo forming process whereby certain foams can be moulded into 3 dimensional shapes.
- Coating – a process whereby the foam is coated with liquids or semi-liquids to give certain physical properties.
- Chemical modification – the addition of certain additives such as colorants, germocides, anti microbials, flame retardants, conductive additives, etc to give certain properties.
AQF has strong commercial relationships with most of the largest foam material manufacturers worldwide and this allows us to offer our clients a comprehensive range of materials to suit most technical applications.Read more
The right foam for the right application is a key principal within AQF. The applications for technical foam products are many and varied. The key properties of the foam used will depend entirely on the precise application that it is being used for.Read more